Saturday, January 25, 2014

Has It Been a Tough Week? Here's Some Encouragement

Because January is always the busiest month for resume writers, I thought today might be a good day to send you a message of encouragement.

Whether you've been in business for two months or ten years, there's one common denominator: Being a self-employed resume writer is hard work. It requires patience, perseverance, and persistence. But let's face it, sometimes the desire to persevere can wane. You might lose your momentum and your business mojo from time to time. (It probably feels like you're losing your mind.)

That's to be expected. So let me share a little encouragement -- and some ideas -- with you today.

1. Ask Yourself: Why Do You Want It? It's much easier to be persistent if you know why you want it. Why are you self-employed? What is your goal -- and what is the motivation behind the goal? If you're unsure of your motivation, then take a few minutes to figure it out. This is important. If you don't know your why, then your how, what, and when are much more difficult to follow through on. I'd really encourage you to write your why down -- or, if you prefer, create a vision board (a visual illustration of your goals).

2. One Step At a Time. One of my favorite sayings when I'm overwhelmed is, "There's only one of me." That's a reminder to me -- and others -- that there's only so much I can do. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. It's much easier to take many small steps towards a goal than to try to achieve a handful of monumental steps. If I get overwhelmed by a client project, I just start on it and work on it as long as I can. If I can't get started, I set my phone timer for 10 minutes and tell myself I'll just work on it until the timer goes off. Once I get started, I can usually keep going.

3. Support Matters. One of the best things you can do for yourself as a resume writer is to come up with processes and systems for yourself and your work with clients. Every project is harder to tackle if you feel like you're starting from scratch with each client. If you can come up with a standard support system for your work, it makes each step you take along the way easier to manage.

Attitude is essential for perseverance. Perseverance is the ability to stick with it and to follow through, even when times are tough. It's an entrepreneurial requirement. Get clear on your reason for being a self-employed resume writer. Accept that there will be difficult days. And, when possible, create support systems to help you along the way.

You can do it. I believe in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment