Thursday, March 30, 2023

10 Questions with Andrea Adamski


Get to know other resume writers in our community with the latest entry in our “10 Questions” series!

Today’s profile is Andrea Adamski, CPRW. Andrea has been writing resumes for more than a decade. She owns her own business, Write For You Resumes, based in Kansas City, Missouri, and also does contract work as Director of Writing Services, training writers and serving as quality control for Your Next Jump, a career services company based out of Washington, D.C.

Andrea is a member of the National Resume Writers’ Association (NRWA), Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches, and BeAResumeWriter.com. She is currently pursuing the Nationally Certified Resume Writer (NCRW) credential.

Her work has been selected for publication in Expert Resumes & LinkedIn Profiles for Managers and Executives (fourth edition), Modernize Your Job Search Letters: Get Noticed…Get Hired, Resume & LinkedIn Strategies for New College Graduates: What Works to Launch a Gen-Z Career, and she is a contributor to the NRWA “Ask the Experts” series.

1. Why did you decide to become a professional resume writer?
I worked in marketing copywriting in the corporate world for nearly a decade. My coworkers familiar with my writing abilities would ask me to help them with their resumes on the side. They would then refer me to their friends and it snowballed.

2. How did you get into the career industry? What did you do before?
I worked in marketing copywriting, mostly in the healthcare and financial industry.

3. What do you typically wear when you’re working? 
Jeans or leggings and one of my Dolly Parton or Prince t-shirts, unless I am meeting a client — then I dress accordingly (no Dolly t-shirt). 

4. What is your best habit, and what is your worst? 
My best and worst habit is probably one and the same — I am detail-oriented. I pay attention to the details. However, you can get too mired in that and border on OCD, so I have to watch myself.

5. What is your favorite object in your office? Why? 
A picture of my kids. 



6. What is your “go to” technique or secret when you get stuck when you are writing a resume? How do you get unstuck? 
I take a break if possible, cook dinner, help my kids with something. My kids and I play a lot of Uno.

7. What is the best career advice you ever got? 
I don’t know if this is specific just to careers, but if you are going to complain about something, first have a solution in mind. I try to think through possible solutions before I voice complaints.

8. How do you unplug? 
I spend time with my family and kids, I love crafts, especially crochet. Sometimes I sew to unwind. I also love to read and watch true crime. If I wasn’t a resume writer, I think I might have liked to be a detective.

9. What ONE thing would you change about your business or the career industry if you could? 
The ageism and bias in resumes and the interview process. I am very cognizant of trying to help my clients with this as there aren’t many protections at the resume stage like there are once you walk in for an interview.

10. What are your favorite social medial accounts to follow? 

DollyParton on Facebook (Dolly Parton)

KansasCityChiefs on Facebook (Kansas City Chiefs)

Connect with Andrea on LinkedIn: 
https://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaadamskiresumes/

Find her company on Facebook: 

Follow Andrea on Twitter: 
https://www.twitter.com/WriteForYouRes

No comments:

Post a Comment