Thursday, April 6, 2023

10 Questions With Kara Varner


Get to know other resume writers in our community with our “10 Questions” series! 

Today’s profile is Kara Varner, MAOM, CARW, CPRW, CRS-MTC, CEIC, of A Platinum Resume LLC. Kara has been a resume writer for 10 years and is based in Colorado. She has a 20-year career background in federal government, civilian, and corporate positions. 

Kara has a diversified background that assists her clients with navigating the application processes for civilian, corporate, contract, and federal government employment. 

1. Why did you decide to become a professional resume writer?
At first, I became a professional resume writer to focus on helping transitioning military service members, federal employees, and military spouses. 

2. How did you get into the career industry? What did you do before?
I became interested in the profession when a neighbor asked me to review his resume. Prior to becoming a resume writer, I was an Employee Assistance Program Manager in the Federal Government. 

3. What do you typically wear when you’re working? 
Sweats. 

4. What is your best habit, and what is your worst? 
Best Habit: Replying to emails, writing out my to-do list every night. 
Worst Habit: Procrastination. 

5. What is your favorite object in your office? Why? 
Artwork by my daughters, gifts from friends, and two signs that say: You Got This and Do What Makes You Happy. 

6. What is your “go to” technique or secret when you get stuck when you are writing a resume? How do you get unstuck? 
I write out any thoughts I have and step away. I try to focus on something else (project, TV show, kids) and my brain thinks it through in my subconscious. Then I am able to come back “fresh.”

7. What is the best career advice you ever got? 
Be yourself. Be authentic. 

8. How do you unplug? 
I enjoy family time or time with my daughters doing something girlie. I watch “Real Housewives,” “Jack Ryan,” “Reign,” “The Home Edit,” and “The Young and the Restless.” 

9. What ONE thing would you change about your business or the career industry if you could? 
The Career Industry: Educate and improve the perception of the industry and the true value of the services. I continually work to help clients and friends understand the value of a professional resume and the amount of work that goes into crafting resumes. 

10. What are your favorite social medial accounts to follow? 

Connect with Kara on LinkedIn: 

Find her company on Facebook: 

Follow Kara on Twitter: 

Visit the website for A Platinum Resume:

1 comment:

  1. Kara Varner is the President and CEO of A Platinum Resume. She is a great lady. Thanks for sharing this interview with us. Now its time to avail Moving company in Tuscaloosa, AL for more information.

    ReplyDelete