Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yellow Pages Decisions

So, it's Yellow Pages time at Image Building Communications. Well, technically, the deadline was last Friday, but my Yellow Pages rep and I have been in contact for about the past month. The "Resume Services" category in our local Yellow Pages (Dex) has changed quite a bit over the past few years, and even after I made an initial decision, I reconsidered.

Over the years, I've had a variety of ads -- ranging from simple "name and phone number" listings to in-column ads upwards of 2 inches in size. The 2007 edition lists a handful of local service providers, and all the ads -- in-column and display, are gone.

I still believe in the value of the Yellow Pages -- I get a couple of calls each week from prospective clients who've found me this way, and I'm ready to reclaim the book by going back to an in-column ad.

But to help with the prequalification process, I'm taking two steps. I'm emphasizing a free critique (I already have a script I use to respond to these, which includes feedback, "how we work" process information, pricing details, and a few fictionalized samples) over a phone call, because I usually ask them to send me their existing resume anyway.

I'm also beefing up my website, including some general pricing information, to deter the "I want a resume for $50" folks. By driving more people online, I hope to capture more e-mail addresses, and use this to create a better dialogue with prospects, either to convert them down the line, or sell them resume distribution services, even if I don't write their resume.

What are your thoughts? What are you doing with your Yellow Pages advertising, and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment