Call your local bookstore and offer to host a Career Night. The format is up to you, but it could include:
• 20-minute workshop on resumes
• Free resume critiques
• Top '10' Book List
• How to Use Career Books to Reach Your Dream Job (i.e., using career research books like the annual "Kennedy Directory of Executive Recruiters")
For added value:
• Send a news release to local newspaper, radio and TV stations to promote the free event;
• Make sure you're on the bookstore's monthly calendar of events;
• Make up posters for display at the store;
• Insert your business card into the front of books in the career section;
• Have a door prize giveaway (collect names, addresses, phone numbers and e-mails on a door prize form). Possible prizes can be a career book, a bookstore gift certificate or a gift certificate for your services.
This technique can also be used at your local library.