Thursday, December 27, 2007

Business Records Retention

My husband came into my office to find me on the floor among piles and piles of paper. "Whatcha doin'?" he inquired. "Organizing my office," I replied, (although it doesn't look like it.)

Yep, 'tis the season to pore through the mound of papers, receipts, and records accumulated over the past year, and dig through records from years past, to decide what to keep, and what to throw away. (Here's a link to a Business Records Retention Guide to help you decide.)

I'm a packrat by nature, so I still have Resume Work Order forms from when I started my business nearly 12 years ago. Here's an invoice for a "Standard" Resume (includes resume, 10 copies on resume paper, "lifetime storage," a computer disk, and references) ... for $50. Another line outlines the cost for cover letters ("We Write:$10/each; You Write/We Type to Match Resume: $5/each). Yikes! By 2000, however, the average was up to $129. (And I was getting paid an average of $120 for a subcontract resume and cover letter!)

You still have time to get your files in order for 2007 and prepare for 2008! (My goal is to have my office reorganized and ready for the New Year by Dec. 31!)

No comments:

Post a Comment